Tuesday, 17 March 2015

St. Patrick's Nails

Hey Everyone!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Since I have some Irish blood in me I couldn't deprive the holiday of a nail art design, especially since the colours are so eye catching and the design just screams Ireland its difficult for it to go unnoticed. I received a number of compliments on this design and it is definitely one of my favourites so far, and hopefully you will feel the same about it as I do.
Left To Right: Pot Of Gold; Clover; Leprechaun Belt; Leprechaun; Irish Flag
Once you see the nail polishes I used for this design it'll become very clear that the majority were for the Pot Of Gold. In order to ensure the colour of the polishes for the rainbow would be vibrant I painted a white curve from the side of my nail down to the tip. This created an arch, I then drew out the pot and the gold with a tooth pick. The difficult part was applying the colours of the rainbow carefully to ensure each colour had an even amount of space.
The Clover was fairly simple since the leaves are basically hearts rotated at different angles and the stem is a curved line. I had to do this design in white first before applying the lighter green because the light green polish is not very opaque on its own, however, over a white polish it is very pretty.
For the Leprechaun Belt I used a black striper across the centre of my nail a few times to even out the thickness of the belt before outlining a white square on the centre for the buckle. The striper I used is from a kit I received a while ago called Emily The Strange. I have used stripers before and they have turned gloopy over time or the striper itself isn't straight, so its safe to say I haven't had a very good experience with them. Which is why I tend not to use them. However, with this striper I haven't had any issues. It is very easy to work with and the black polish is perfectly opaque. Although, you do have to be careful you don't end up with a large blob of polish dropping onto your nail from the striper's stick.
The Leprechaun is one of the statements of this nail design because it draws the initial attention since the nails before that had the green base polish. Whereas this nail has a bright orange tip to imitate the Leprechaun's beard. For his hat I applied green across the cuticle and through the centre added a black line for more detail. I dotted white polish for the eyes and then a small amount of black into the centre. As well as using the black for the small curve for the mouth. I mixed a white, orange and red polish to create the peach toned colour for the Leprechaun's nose also to pull the design all together.
My little finger is ideal for those of you who wish to bring out your inner Irishman but don't want something too out there or difficult. Simply apply a white base polish to your nail with green on one side and orange on the other.
Since my blog is based around my designs I don't not tend to post the opposite design because on a number of occassions I only do a basic colour on the opposite hand due to the detail some designs require. For this nail art I simply painted my nails in the colours of the Irish flag alternating depending on the nail, which is yet another idea for those of you who don't feel comfortable going all out with such a design.
Let me know what you think of this design and how you spent St. Patrick's Day in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment